Barrier Methods of Birth Control
*Note: THERE ARE CURRENTLY NO HEALTH CANADA APPROVED SPERMICIDES AVAILABLE FOR SALE IN CANADA.
How does it work?
- Chemicals that kill sperm or make the sperm unable to move towards the egg
- Come in several different forms including foam, gel and film
- All methods are inserted into the vagina
- Read instructions for each method before use as insertion times vary
- Can be used alone or with other birth control methods to increase effectiveness
- 71-82% effective when used alone, without condoms
- No need to see a doctor or health care provider
- Spermicide may act as a lubricant
- Use only when needed
- Available at pharmacy section
- No protection against STIs, including HIV
- May cause skin irritation, which could make it easier to get an STI or HIV if exposed